It is not very difficult to believe that people who snore are subject to many health diseases like blood pressure issues. The advance research shows that people who have breathing issues during sleep are at increased risk of high blood pressure that, at times, gets difficult to control as well. The problem is not just common to the people who wakes up due to snoring partners but also is an alarming situation for ones who usually snore in a normal manner. Therefore, knowing about the experience of gasping during sleeping that is known as sleep apnea is essential. With this, the effective anti-snoring solutions to treat sleep apnea and blood pressure is equally vital for healthy living. Therefore, this post is all about the details of sleep apnea disorder, its causes and symptoms, and how to treat it effectively in simple ways.
- About OSA (Obstructive sleep apnea):
OSA or obstructive sleep apnea is a sleeping pattern wherein the snorer experiences a short period of breathing pauses in between deep sleep. As per research, in one hour, the snorer takes shallow breaths or complete stoppage of breathing that takes place for more than 30 minutes and lasts from few seconds to minutes too. During this issue, the person completely loses its nasal activity of breathing. Night-time interruptions make the brain crave oxygen and puts stress on the cardiovascular system, creating a high risk of heart attacks and strokes. While this is a common disease, the diagnosis can be difficult that leads to high blood pressure too.
- Causes of disturbed sleep:
If you are wondering about the origins of OSA, it is the hindrance in the nasal passage that leads to the troubled or interrupted breathing issue. The barrier caused by the muscle in the upper airway needs to be away to keep the airway passage free and open for the oxygen to pass through the lungs.
- Symptoms and effect of sleep apnea:
Deep snoring and long breathing pauses are some of the noticeable symptoms during the issue of obstructive sleep apnea. Some of the other changes experienced by the snorer with OSA are-
- Irritation or restlessness after waking up
- Regular experience of morning headaches
- Awakening with dry mouth
- Feeling of anxiety
- Silence sleep deprivation
- Lethargic attitude
- Major personality changes
- Lack of concentration and focus
- Steep in sleep leading to insomnia
- Decrease interest in sexual intercourse, etc.
Other significant effects of OSA are-
- High blood pressure due to increased stress on the cardiovascular system
- Thickening of heart muscles
- The decrease in oxygen supply into the blood
- Premature death
- Effective treatment and prevention:
Does the above issues and symptoms mean there is no effective treatment and prevention of sleep apnea and increase blood pressure issue? Of course not, there is a wide variety of snoring remedies, and effective use of them can help the snorer control the tough-to-control blood pressure issue and hence, gasping and snorting problems too. Below are some of the effective cures mentioned:
- Anti-snoring nasal spray: A few pumps of the nasal spray is the most natural solution to cure the sleeping disorder. One can use this anti-snoring nasal spray every night before sleep to ensure the removal of the blockage, keeping the airway open and transparent for smooth breathing.
- Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) mask: As per research, 30-50% of patients with high blood pressure have sleep apnea disorder. Therefore, treating this issue with the help of these simple masks ensures normal breathing during sleep that also helps in reducing the blood pressure levels.
- Change in sleeping position: Lying on the back obstructs the airway by bringing the tongue and soft palate collapse with each other. The issue creates vibrating sound during sleep leading to snoring. Hence, sleeping on the side helps prevent mild to moderate snoring.
- Use of position pillow: Some pillow design is to use with CPAP machine or without it too. The different styles available will help in raising the body during sleeping on the back to help keep the airway from collapsing.
- Mandibular advancement device (MAD): This mouth guard-like device helps in snapping the top and bottom teeth, creating enough space between the jaws. The tool pulls forward the lower jaw keeping the tongue and soft palate in a stable condition for the airway to be open.
- Opening the nasal passage: Before hitting the bed, opening the nasal passage by cleaning the nostril with saline water or using anti-snoring solutions like nasal spray allows the air to move freely eliminating snoring sound during sleep.
- Stay hydrated: Simple change like being well-hydrated also helps in reducing the snoring issue. The nose secretion and soft-palate become stickers when the body is dehydrated and creates obstruction in the nasal passage. Hence, the right amount of water intake work wonders in eliminating simple to severe body problems.
- Avoid sedatives during sleep: Sedatives like consumption of alcohol, smoking, or specific medications, puts the throat muscles to rest. These create interference in the passage, creating more chances of increase snoring. Therefore, not consuming these at least 4-5 hours helps in the reduction of snoring.
- Losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle: Losing extra flesh around the throat and neck area helps in reducing severe snoring of sleep apnea disorder. It can be achieved by working out, eating a nutritious diet, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle that includes good sleeping habits too.
The acute choking feeling, when experienced due to sleep apnea disorder, shouldn’t be ignored and left untreated. The breathlessness during sleep, the gasping issue, the enormous breaks while sleeping, and the stress on the heart due to lack of oxygen are enough to put a stop to the healthy living. Therefore, to not let the different organs of the body get affected, the above simple preventions and treatments are a must to consider not to make the snoring issue a dangerous one with its side effects.