As harmless as it sounds, snoring can proliferate major health issues. 50% of snorers suffer from sleep apnea. For people with sleep apnea, the combination of disturbed sleep and oxygen scavenging may lead to hypertension, heart disease and mood and memory problems.
Snoring occurs when flow of air from mouth or nose is physically obstructed. This can occur due to combination of factors:
Obstructed nasal airways
Some people snore only during allergy seasons or when they have sinus infection. Septum or wall which separated two nostrils is sometimes disfigured. This leads to difficult breathing. This condition is termed deviated septum or nasal polyps.
Muscle tone in throat and tongue
When throat muscles are too relaxed, then they causes tongue to fall back into the airway. This can be burgeoned by alcohol consumption and sleeping pills. Plus, as the body ages coordination of muscles declines, relaxed muscles leads to snore.
Thick throat tissue
High calorie foods thicken the throat tissues, and disable it from relaxing and consequently narrow the airway. Plus these foods thrust the diaphragm upwards.
Snoring has major effects on health of individual
- Snoring can affect mental well being. It can pilot the crankiness due to lack of sleep to severe depression. Stressed mind is hub of anxiety and disturbed cognition. It can cause daytime sleepiness which deteriorates work efficiency.
- Disturbed sleep leads to sleep apnea .Apnea can cause fragmented sleep and low blood oxygen levels. Also there is proneness to drowsy driving. Cardiac diseases, memory problems and hypertension complete the package.
- Snoring catalyses Nocturia. If a person wakes up for washroom two or more times a night, the condition is called Nocturia. This can lead to eventual loss of bladder control.
- A study on 827 men showed that louder they snore lesser their sexual appetite became. This might be due to high stress level due to sleep deficit.
- Snoring can result in fetal complications. During second trimester snoring is common. But, disturbed sleep can result in high blood pressure and anxiety. This may lead to complications coupled with stress during pregnancy.
You can try tanner medicos’ Asonor. It is a medicated nasal spray which opens up airway muscles, ensuring relaxation of throat muscles with each use. Consult your physician and get Asonor from your nearest pharmaceutical.